Thursday 29 May 2008

IMT - Whimsy



This is my painting for "Whimsy" at Inspire Me Thursday. The first time I've painted on a proper canvas! I know it doesn't look very whimsical (!) but I'm working with the first definition - an odd or fanciful idea.
The idea for it came about while I was studying my art history text book. I was reading "The Foundation and Manifesto of Futurism" by Marinetti. Its a seriously immense and intense bit of writing.
He wrote the first part of it as a strange and nightmarish adventure, working all kinds of metaphors about the need to move forward from the Symbolist art movement and embrace modernity.
It was originally published in the French newspaper "Le Figaro" in 1909 and launched the whole Futurist movement. They embraced new technology celebrating speed, war and dynamism.
He goes on to write an 11 point "Futurist Manifesto". Its full of action and aggression, violence, revolution. Destruction of the dead art, liberation from the past. Lots of hatred, injustice, fury and defiance. I found it amazing to read and started sketching out the ideas and imagery I had for the painting there in my text book. I decided to go with it and this is the painting I made.
If you want to read more of the article you can do so here.

No comments: