Saturday 2 February 2008

Art Pilgrimage Part Two

Visiting The National Gallery on a rainy day in London.

Hello everyone.

I'm back from my holiday in London. Following on from my trip to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam I was traveling to London to visit The Tate Modern and National Art Galleries.

Here are a couple of my highlights from the National Gallery.


The Crucifified Christ with the Virgin Mary, Saints and Angels by Raphael


I managed to join one of their free guided tours and my favourite painting here was The Supper At Emmaus by Caravaggio.
An amazing painting to just stand in front of and absorb. But to have the guide to tell us the story behind the painting and about the artist's aims was brilliant. There are so many aspects of technical genius in this which were totally radical (and not always well recieved) at the time. I eventually understand foreshortening too, at last.. Kind of.


Caravaggio seems like a very interesting character and I'm looking forward to learning more about him now I'm back home.



I was really excited about seing Sampson & Delilah, one of my favourite paintings at the gallery. I must have spent almost an hour walking round with my little map trying to find it. When I finally got the bottle to ask where it was, the man said it was on loan abroad. Oh well..

No comments: