Thursday 6 March 2008

Stages of Grief (!)

Here is a little post about how I made the portrait "Grief". I took pictures of it as I was making it so I thought - why not put them on here? You can see how it progressed (very stop-startish over about a month).

I dont't know why I take pictures as I go along. Its like when typing a word document and you save as you go along. I think the habit has transferred to my paintings. If only you could return to a saved point when it all goes wrong!



First I made a sketch onto the paper from the photograph I took. I painted in the head and arm with acrylic. Then the background in plain acrylic.














I didn't know what I was going to do after this. Only that I wanted to somehow suggest some inner-chaos or upset. But I didn't know how..


I decided upon collage and tore up bits of newspaper. I glued them down and painted on some layers of Gesso ready for it all to be painted over.

No comments: